Prepare for Summer with a New Patio Cover
Summer is just around the corner and what better way to maximize your backyard entertaining, than with a new patio cover. Patio covers not only provide shelter and shade, they extend the living space of your home and make it possible to enjoy the outdoors long past the end of summer. Patio covers also enhance curb appeal and add value to your home.
Patio covers come in a variety of styles and materials. They can be constructed to compliment the style of your home and enjoyed for many years to come. Let’s explore the options and benefits of all patio covers have to offer.
Every Backyard Is Different
A patio cover offers countless opportunities to make the most of your outdoor space. What you use it for is completely up to you. Every yard is different, and every user has their own needs. Some people want to barbecue on their patio every day, while others want intimacy and peace more than anything else. Or how about a covered play area in full view of the kitchen window? Every situation requires its own solution.
Considerations When Choosing a Patio Cover
Fortunately, customization is within reach. The pros at Straightline Exteriors will guide you through the entire process. Here are several initial questions they might ask you:
- What do you plan to use the covered patio for?
- Do you prefer an attached or free-standing patio covering?
- What would be the ideal length, width and height of the covering?
- Would you like extra protection from too much sunlight or less favorable weather conditions, or are you looking for extra privacy?
- What style do you prefer?
The available styles range from sharp and minimalist to more traditional. In addition, you are obviously looking for a color that is a perfect fit for your garden, facade and exterior woodwork. Finally, your style should be reflected in the finishing touches like the awning, side panels and lighting options.
The Benefits of Patio Covers
Adding patio covers is a fast and relatively low-cost way to win your outdoor space back from Mother Nature. The shade lets you enjoy the sunshine even at the height of the hottest and rainiest months in the Pacific Northwest. Additionally, installing a patio cover can add value to your home and can even increase its overall curb appeal. But the benefits of installing patio covers don’t end there. Other than helping you reclaim your outdoor lifestyle, there are other less-talked-about advantages of patio shading solutions:
- They Keep the Inside Cool- The biggest yet the least appreciated reward in installing patio covers is solar heat gain mitigation. They act as your home’s primary layer of defense against the sun’s infrared rays, which, when absorbed, raise your indoor temperature. Since they are the first structure that sunlight hits, it essentially draws away heat and UV light from your home. Apart from protecting your furniture from sunlight damage, your new patio cover essentially acts as a secondary heat shield.
- They Combat Solar Damage- Apart from infrared light, patio shades also reflect harmful ultraviolet rays. UV radiation can break down the chemical bonds of everyday objects, causing them to fade in color. In Albuquerque, where the UV index is higher than the national average, solar damage can easily suck the life out of your valuables. But you can reduce fading dramatically with tough patio covers. They’re made to safeguard your home’s vulnerable areas against such detriments for the years to come.
- Make Your Patios More Accessible The biggest benefit to installing a patio cover in your home is that you’re making your patio more accessible throughout the year. Inclement weather stops you from taking full advantage of your extended living space. By installing a cover, you make your patio a year-round place that you and your family can enjoy and take advantage of, regardless of the weather.
- They Spruce Up the Façade Located prominently outside your home; a stunning shade solution can boost your curb appeal. Customizable to the last detail, our patio covers lend more interest to your exterior home design. Whatever your aesthetic requirements, we can make form reconcile with function.
- Finally, installing a patio cover allows you to bridge the gap between your interior and exterior places, which increases your home’s curb appeal. This benefit is why it’s important to pick the right visual design for your new patio cover. Its design should complement your facade.
Choice of Materials
The materials you can choose for a patio roof include:
- Lattice wood
- Metal panels or aluminum
- Translucent fiberglass
- Boards and netting
- Canvas shade sails
- Wood and shingles
Because there really is no “right” material for a patio cover, select the one that matches your outdoor decor scheme, works with the climate and fits your lifestyle. When you want the patio roof to be an extension of your existing roof, build it over a sturdy frame to support an underlayment of plywood, tar paper and shingles that match the home’s roofing shingles.
Choosing the Right Contractor to Install Your Patio Cover
Many contractors install patio covers so why how do you choose the right one for your needs? Since 2001, Straightline Exteriors has provided superior residential and commercial contracting services to SW Washington and Portland Metropolitan areas. With over 30 years of combined experience, this locally owned and operated company is dedicated to the protection and beautification of properties in the NW.
Our project consultants oversee each job from the sale to the material ordering, installation and follow up after the job is complete. Our experienced team of design specialists helps you to create a mix of beauty and functionality to achieve exactly what you are looking for. It’s our mission to make every builder, property manager or developer feel like they’re our only customer from the day you sign with us until the day the job is done.
Enjoy cool shade in the summer or shelter from the rain in the cool season with a patio cover installed by Straightline Exteriors.